1.02.2009

I'm not so good at blogging and "Cards For the Troops Effort" update

Yeah, that's a no-brainer. It's been MONTHS since I've used this blog. See that banner over to the side that mentions blogging without obligation? That'd be me :) But now I'm feeling a bit differently about it. I am thinking more along the lines of journaling our history. So yeah, I'm gonna try to do better.

I belong to a scrapbooking yahoo group, IdahoScrappers. For the last several years we have combined efforts for charity and put on a "Charity Crop" for our members. One-hundred percent of the proceeds go to a voted-upon charity. We have pulled in some big numbers for our little group - usually about 35 people participate. This year we didn't do the "big" event. Instead we made holiday cards to send to troops overseas so they could send them home. Our goal was 500 to send to three different military services (Army, Navy and Marines). Much to our glee we ended up with just over NINE HUNDRED cards to send out. Just about 30 people participated.

Unfortunately, the box that I sent to the Marines came back undeliverable. By then it was mid-November. I was in a pickle: shall I try to find someplace to send them so they would get them in time or should I keep them until next year. Holding them until next year wasn't really an option for me. I really didn't want to do that. So, my friend Alex and I searched the 'net to try and find someplace to send them quickly. I hopped on SplitCoastStampers because I know there are ladies there that send cards overseas regularly. I posted for some information. A charming lady responded, told me that if I sent them in the next couple of days she could get them to men preparing to depart on deployment. So that's what I did. She is in the military herself and she really pulled it off for us. Every single card was taken by folks headed out for deployment. It really worked out and I was thrilled.

We received a nice letter from the Airforce folks and one from the Navy folks. On Christmas Eve I received a package from someone I didn't recognize. When I opened it I found a few things, one of which was a really nice handmade card from the woman I found on SCS thanking IdahoScrappers for making the day a brighter one for the deploying troops. In addition I found other things in the box.


The plaque put me over the edge. I was alone and sat down and cried. And cried some more. I was so touched. I will display the plaque and bear proudly in my room. I gave Alex the T-Shirt (she's much smaller than I and looks much better in red, lol) because she helped me through the little crisis I had when I got the box of cards returned. IdahoScrappers should be so proud of yourselves. And those that aren't IdahoScrappers that still participated in one way or another. I thank you!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

What an amazing little surprise - it brought tears to my eyes reading it! I sure was proud of our little group of girls! Big thanks to you for taking such good care of the group - My life is better having you in it, my friend!
XOXOXOX
Jenn

Sandi D said...

WOW! That so rocks!

You've been a busy little elf!
xoxoxox

Craaaazy Laaady said...

What a huge blessing! It is really amazing what a little thought and effort can do. I am so proud to be part of this group! Thank you Cindy for keeping us plugging along. There are some days that this group is the only thing that keeps me from going loony toons! Great Job ladies! Heather J